Sitecore Path Analyzer not working properly on Sitecore 8.1. How can it be fixed?

While working with an upgraded Sitecore build from 6.5 to 8.1 I have come across an issue with Path Analyzer that I thought worth sharing as I had trouble finding solutions to it on the internet.

After logging into Sitecore and clicking on the Path Analyzer button on the Launch Pad I saw this error:

pathanalyser1

To troubleshoot I tried accessing the pathanalyzer page to get the details of the error. The page lives on the path http://hostname/sitecore/admin/pathanalyzer.aspx

When I opened that page I saw a NullReferenceException error:

pathanalyser2

To solve this you need to enable the path analyzer client to communicate with the remote reporting server by making the following changes, as described here:

Enabled the file Sitecore.PathAnalyzer.RemoteClient.config and disable the files Sitecore.PathAnalyzer.Processing.config and Sitecore.PathAnalyzer.Services.RemoteServer.config.

After making this change the Path Analyzer started working again. Credits to Jose Neto for the help

The portuguese version of this post can be read here

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s