Upgrading cause the Sitecore interface to stop working. Here is how I got it fixed

Here is the scenario for today’s post:

You are upgrading Sitecore and after you have gone through the steps and you log into Sitecore, you notice that when you click on the Sitecore Desktop  or Content Editor icons nothing happens.

What could be wrong?

I had this exact behavior while upgrading Sitecore 8.0 update 3 to 8.0 update 7. When I started troubleshooting I opened Sitecore logs and noticed that there was no errors being captured but it did have a duplicate setting warning. In my case this was the message I would get on the log file:

9008 17:08:16 WARN  A duplicate setting “WebEdit.JQueryUIStylesheet” has been detected in the Sitecore.ExperienceEditor.config file. The value of the setting will be changed to “/sitecore/shell/Controls/Lib/jQuery/jQueryUI/1.10.3/smoothness/jquery-ui-1.10.3.min.css”.

So what I did was open the showconfig page (http://hostname/sitecore/admin/showconfig.aspx) and checked on the output of it all references to the WebEdit.JQueryUIStylesheet configuration.

It turned out to have 2 references to it. I removed one of them which got introduced as part of the upgrade by mistake and reloaded Sitecore. After that Sitecore behaved normally.

Hoping this could be useful for others!

To see the same post in portuguese click here

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s